After choosing a list of colleges you want to apply-you can look at the application procedures.
1) Collect the Address and E-mail ID of the chosen colleges. Contact for more information, application forms and financial aids at least a year (between June and August) before you plan to enter.
2) Register for all the required admission tests such as TOEFL, SAT and ACT (in U.S only) for a Bachelor's programme or Undergraduate study; and TOEFL, GRE and GMAT for a masters or doctoral programme (Graduate study and research.) These tests are standardised and have centers around the world.
You can arrange with the testing agencies to send your test scores directly to the colleges and universities you are applying.
Click on Admission Tests for more information about tests.
3) Keep all your academic records including an official credential evaluation of the 'marks card' (known as Transcripts in USA) ready. These records should include certificates of achievement in co-curricular and extra curricular activities.
4) Approach at least 3 of your teachers in school or professors who have taught you in college for reference letters. Teachers who know you thoroughly can provide a balanced reference of your ability to pursue advanced studies. Keep these letters ready.
5) Make a list of at least four courses you want to take up. Check whether these courses are available in India's colleges or Internet study option. If they are not available it is a good reason for convincing the Visa officer to give you a Visa.
6) Get a passport.
After you receive the application form, scrutinize all the admission requirements and financial requirements. The application forms usually ask for personal information, your certified mark sheets or transcripts, your admission test scores, certificates of extra curricular activities, letters of reference from your teachers, about your education plan-i.e. your course of study, carrier goals and research plan and why you chose this particular school etc. The application fee may be between $30 to $50 payable by cheque. It will not be refunded if you do not attend the school.
The applications should be duly completed and send much before the deadline mentioned in the application forms. Usually, for most Universities and colleges the academic year begins in late August or early September and ends in May or June.
The admission office of the university will inform whether you are accepted or rejected by sending a acceptance letter around April- June period.
If you are accepted you may be required to pay a deposit usually of one semester or a full years tuition fee for reserving seat, before a certain date.