Friday, September 22, 2023
Education & Career
Find Us on FacebookFollow Us on TwitterFollow Us on Google Plus tellafriendYoutube
Search by Voice
Study in USA - Introduction | USA-Overview | Educational System
List of Institutions - By Subject | By State
Admission Procedures | Entrance Tests | Visa Processing | Scholarships | Finance / cost | Accommodation | Employment | Insurance | US. Laws | USEF India

Study in USA : Visa Processing

Once the admission to a college or University is confirmed, the University will sent to the applicant Form 1-20 or the Form IAP-66. These documents are needed to apply for a non-immigrant student visa. There are three categories of student visa.

  1. F-1 Visa (Academic student) is for students who have been accepted for full time study in academic or language programs. It allows you to study at an approved university or college and lead to graduating with a Master's Degree, Doctoral Degree or Diploma Certificate.
  2. J-1 Visa (Exchange student) is issued to visiting scholars, medical doctors who seek advanced training or candidates pursuing graduate or post graduate studies on an exchange program.
  3. M-1 Visa is for students who are accepted for non-academic or any vocational programmes.

The 1-20 and I AP-66 Forms are visa petitions that state your eligibility to apply for the non-immigrant student visa status.

1-20 A-B is a certificate of eligibility issued by universities as proof of acceptance as their student. This form is needed for applying for F-1 non -immigrant Visa. This can also be used to change any other non-Immigrant Visa status to F-1. Form IAP-66 is needed for applying for J-1 Visa.

Documents required for applying for visa

  1. A certificate issued by an officer of the students own bank explicitly stating the amount of money available to support you during your stay in the U.S.
  2. If there is sponsor or guarantor, a certificate issued by a bank officer of this guarantors or sponsors financial ability
  3. A statement from a sponsoring organization or institution giving the terms of sponsorship. 


Holders of F-1, J-1, or M-1 Visas should keep their passports valid for at least six months into the future. Passport will become invalid six months before the expiration date noted in the passport. You have to reapply for your passport several months (6 months plus the time you take to get fresh passport) before the date of expiry. 

Passports can be renewed at the Indian Embassy in Washington, DC or its various consulates in the U.S. A letter confirming your students status  can be got from Registrars office or the International students Service Office at your college or University. The passports should be registered at your country's nearest consulate or Embassy. This makes your passport on record and it will be easier to replace in case of the passport is lost or stolen.

  Search By     University Name   Place/State    Degree awarded     Major Discipline
       Help List: By Universities Name / By States / Place